The Cave Creek Museum has several great out door exhibits
The Golden Reef Stamp Mill
A mining boom in the early 1900s motivated a group of Chicago investors to capitalize a new mining operation, the Golden Reef Mine. A new ten-stamp mill was purchased for operation on Continental Mountain. It was shut down due to a fire in 1913 and was rebuilt in 1917. The mine was put up for sale and eventually abandoned.This stamp mill now resides at the Museum and is undergoing restoration.
The Tubercular Cabin
This cabin was built in the early 1920s, and was one of several along Cave Creek Road, It is one of many types built in Central and Southern Arizona to house tubercular patients. The dry climate, combined with rest, was the only treatment known for those suffering lung diseases. Many people survived to lead long, productive lives. Furnishings are original to the cabin or from cabins in the area.
Restored by the Cave Creek Museum Humana Hospital and the citizens of Cave Creek and Carefree. Cabin was donated by Santos Rubira.
The Tubercular Cabin is listed in the National Register of Historic Places – Arizona. It’s reference number is 01001172.
To see the Register click here.
Historic First Church of Cave Creek
The Cave Creek Museum is the proud owner of the first church of Cave Creek. The tiny church was built in 1948 as a mission church, moved to our location on Skyline Drive and became the first home of the Cave Creek Museum.
We used the building for 17 years as our office, collections and exhibits area. It was restored to its previous condition by volunteers. It then served as a church for a small congregation while they saved their funds to build a building of their own, which was finished in 2004. Today, the tiny church continues to be active for wedding and memorial services.