Cave Creek had its own version of Annie Oakley. Her name was Catherine J. Jones. She was about five feet tall and known as “Cattle Kate” (she preferred Catherine). The deputy sheriff was never completely dressed unless she had her low-slung, holstered .38 Colt. Her .410 shotgun was never far. Cattle Kate was a dead-aim; everyone knew it. Catherine and her husband, Theodore, homesteaded two sections of land in 1925. They named the spread Willow Springs Ranch. A Hopi Chief translated the name of the Cave Creek ranch for the Jones’—still known today as Cahava Ranch.
CATTLE KATE – Jan 2014